Wednesday, August 09, 2023

Static Site Generators

The current Tribblix website is a bit of a hack. Technically it's using a static site generator - a simple home-grown script that constructs pages from a bit of content and boilerplate - but I wanted to be able to go a bit further.

I looked at a few options - and there are really a huge number of them - such as Hugo and Zola. (Both are packaged for Tribblix now, by the way.)

In the end I settled on nanoc. That's packaged too (and I finally got around to having a very simple - rather naive - way of packaging gems).

Why nanoc, though? In this case it was really because it could take the html page fragments I already had and create the site from those, and after tweaking it slightly I end up with exactly the same html output as before.

Other options might be better if I was starting from scratch, but it would have been much harder to retain the fidelity of the existing site.

One advantage of the new system is that I can put the site under proper source control, so the repo is here.

There's still a lot of work to be done on filling out the content, but it should be easier to evolve the Tribblix website in future.

No comments: