Friday, November 13, 2009

JKstat 0.32

Friday the 13th, and I wonder whether to hold off for a day.

But no, another JKstat release comes out.

Nothing major here, still the continuing cleanup process. The one change here is better exception handling, particularly in Client-Server mode. It's not perfect, by any means, but in the past I just dropped errors and exceptions straight in the bin.

The reason for doing so was that I wasn't keen on declaring Exceptions to be thrown - it seriously clutters up the whole API. But Fabrice Bacchella (thanks!) pointed out the obvious, that if I were to throw a RuntimeException then I wouldn't have to declare that I threw it. So the fix is to create a subclass of RuntimeException and throw that, and consumers that need to know can check for that (and can check for the specific failure - RuntimeException is far too generic).

No comments: