Friday, March 17, 2006

Home Networked

I'm writing this blog entry using my W2100z workstation upstairs in the spare room.

We've spent the last couple of weekends decorating Amanda's room, and I took the opportunity to run some cat-5 cable in the upstairs rooms. The next step was to run cable down the stairs to connect my little ethernet switch to the broadband router, and enable dhcp. Hey presto! It all works.

The girls each have a SunBlade 150. Well, I've got them, and it means I don't have to worry about them getting virus infestations. So a surfing we can go! (And it means that the main computer is free instead of being taken up by someone trying to do their homework half the evening.)

I used an all-in-one kit I got from Maplins. 50m of cable, connectors, boxes, faceplates, tools, and 4 patch leads. A great buy and a real bargain.

No comments: