Saturday, May 22, 2010

RHCE

This last week I've been away on a training course, the Red Hat RHCE rapid track course. It's been a long time since I did formal training (anything beyond the odd hour or so, at least), so I wasn't sure how it was going to go.

All in all a success, I think. I certainly learnt a lot, and passed the exam.

As anyone who has done the RHCE exam knows, I can't really talk about any of the details. But I think the following would be helpful to others like myself:

  • If you're experienced in unix systems administration, and are used to administering applications, you should cope. Easily.

  • With experience on other platforms, the rapid-track course is very useful.

  • The RHCE exam covers a lot of application ground. For me, it was really a case of learning how Red Hat has its own tweaks (and how things like the firewall and SELinux interact with applications).

  • I found that going away for the course was really helpful. It allowed me to focus on the course without distractions.


Red Hat do a transition course for Solaris Administrators. I thought about that, and skipped it. I had no problem adjusting to RHEL, so I'm not sure what value the course for Solaris admins would be - I would have thought that if you're a bit unsure, then doing the full RHCE course rather that the Solaris course with the fast-track would be a better bet.

5 comments:

gtirloni said...

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing, I will bookmark and be back again RHCE TRAINING IN CHENNAI

Mustafa Qasim said...

Congrats, I am also preparing for RHCE exam now also writing RHCE Boot Camp at http://blog.mustu.info/rhce-boot-camp . I would love to hear ur suggestions.

Anonymous said...

If you take the RH300 fast track class with bundled exam, and do all labs in the work book and diligently practice all the material so you understand it, you should be able to pass the exam.

The most difficult aspects are that it is time-limited, and you have no access to any outside resources, so it's just up to whatever you know and what you can find on the man pages.

www.redhat.com/certification/rhce/prep_guide/

Rhce Training in India said...

This is an interesting topic. I really appreciate your hard work done on the research of this topic. Thanks.