The problem currently is that you can, with some effort, create a jumpstart profile. But the only real way to test it is to use it to install a system, and either see what works and what doesn't, or look at the installation log to see what package dependencies you messed up on. Eventually you can get quite good at this, but it shouldn't be this hard.
You can select packages in the interactive install, but the dependency resolution is awful. It tells you what the dependencies that failed are, but doesn't give you a way to feed that back into the gui to resolve them. Nor does it tell you what dependencies are required as you look at the individual packages. And once you've selected your software, it will install it but you can't go from that to create a jumpstart profile to automatically install the next set of systems.
I have most of the base code already, in the shape of Solview. That knows how to turn the .clustertoc file (which is where the clusters and metaclusters are defined) into a tree representation of the packages, that could be used as the basis of a selection tree. And it can evaluate the dependencies. I've also got code that can describe a jumpstart profile.
Where I'm currently struggling a little is the actual interface. Using a java swing JTree as the base is fairly straightforward - this is what Solview does already. And I need a custom cell renderer to add checkboxes to show whether the software package is selected or not (or, in the case of an installed system, whether it's been installed or not). But then I got to thinking and I can't use the regular JCheckBox, as there are more states that I wish to display than JCheckBox gives me out of the box.
- Package or cluster selected
- Package or cluster not selected
- Cluster partially selected
- Package or cluster selected and cannot be deselected
I've had a quick look around with the help of google, and I'm obviously not the first person to have requirements of this type. And there is a fairly large amount of sample code out there. Unfortunately it appears to be fairly complex, and I would be adding a significant amount of extra code, but it doesn't appear that I have much choice.