It looks pretty good stuff to me. (The fact that one of my girls is mad about penguins might also make it popular.)
They're using it on Windows at School, but it's cross-platform, so I built it for Solaris too.
I had to go through the prerequistes:
In all cases I did a
(setenv CC cc ; setenv CXX CC ; setenv F77 f77 ; ./configure )
to build, using the free Sun Compiler, as libtool couldn't cope with gcc for some reason.
Then to build tuxpaint
This wasn't quite enough. I needed to add an explicit
to the link list, and then it fails because it needs strcasestr().
OK, so I grabbed a shim copy of strcasestr from OpenSolaris (for example, this one), compiled it, and linked that in.
And, because it used a simple makefile, fixing up the problems was trivial.
Oh, and I've filed a couple of bugs. One against tuxpaint so that it handles a missing strcasestr (or doesn't require it at all); and an RFE that Solaris include this function (as opposed to the several private copies dotted about in the source), as this isn't the first time I've seen applications want it.